Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Vanilla doesn't have to be so vanilla

Vanilla needn't be, you know, "vanilla." (As in "plain." Though Urban Dictionary may have a more elaborate definition. It's on you if you choose to look it up.)

Neither of these two limited-run barrel-aged stouts were vanilla in any way, shape or form.

The one on the left, the 2017 Dosvidanya Vanilla Rye released at Destihl's Dosvidanya Day in Normal, Illinois, a few months ago delivered almost everything you'd hope for when you hear "Vanilla Rye." (Let's not get out over our skis; there is only one Vanilla Rye king, and Goose Island hasn't released it since 2014. It's still flippin' delicious assuming it was properly cellared and not shipped coast to coast four times last summer.) The vanilla is plentiful without verging into Mallo Cup territory and the rye gives it a touch of spiciness.

The one on the right...AWAGOO! I've only had a few BA beers from Bottle Logic, and I've had the good fortune to enjoy the 2016 release of Fundamental Observation BA Vanilla Stout twice. It's truly world class, the oak complementing the vanilla beans and a nice, thick body that gives a tremendous mouthfeel. (God I hate that term. But sometimes it's the best word available, so I use it.)

I was very happy to share these with a really good friend recently and while I'm happy to have two more bottles of the Dosvidanyas to enjoy in coming months, I'm stuck on trying to figure out what I can trade for more of that 2016 Fundamental Observation. I love the memories, but I'm always open to re-experiencing a rare and wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment